HTML5 and Timed Media
Video and Audio Without the Plugin
What and Why
- video, audio, text
- standard set of interfaces to provide
- native support
- increase accessibility
- uniform behavior
- Interact with other page elements: canvas, svg
Characteristics – It’s dynamic!
- multiple streams rendered together: video + audio
- large files, loaded overtime
- variety of protocols with different subsets of support
- multiple states: playing, ready to play, stopped, loading, etc.
- properties change with protocol: dimension, size, duration
Video in the Web
- W3C effort to promote video and audio online
- Timed Text Working Group: xml to describe text
- Media Fragments Working Group: uri's to link to specific spot in video/audio
- Media Annotations Working Group: metadata
- Missing codec? Patents.
Can we use it?
- Still draft. Done in 2022?
- Browsers vary in support
- Codec mess
- Currently Firefox .ogg and .wav +
- Currently Safari .mov and .mp3 +
- Flash has more audio features
- Sound Manager 2: JS interface for Flash